Sitkovetsky Trio Spotify Playlist
BEETHOVEN Piano Trio no 7 in B flat major, op 97 ‘Archduke’
The “Archduke” trio, was composed by Beethoven in 1811. It was dedicated to Archduke Rudolph of Austria (thus the nickname), who was the composer’s only piano student at the time. Beethoven performed in the premiere of the piece, although it probably sounded quite different to this recording by the Beaux Arts Trio. Of the performance, German composer and violinist Louis Spohr wrote that “in forte passages the poor deaf man pounded on the keys until the strings jangled, and in piano he played so softly that whole groups of notes were omitted.” It was sadly Beethoven’s last known public performance on piano. Here’s the Beaux Arts Trio with Beethoven’s Piano Trio no 7 in B flat , op 97 – “the archduke” trio.
TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Trio in A minor, op 50 ‘In Memory of a Great Artist’
Tchaikovsky’s Piano Trio in A minor is the composer’s only work for this combination of instruments (piano, violin and cello), having mostly written for the orchestral forces for which he is perhaps most recognised. When asked to write a Piano Trio by the work’s patron, Mme von Meck, he replied that he could not endure the torturous combination of piano and strings in any Trio or Sonata form. Despite his aversions, he continued to create this evocative work, driven by the sad news of the passing of Nikolai Rubenstein – pianist, conductor and former employer of Tchaikovsky. The piece is regarded as an elegy to Rubenstein – a reflection on his life. It is performed in this recording by Lang Lang, Vadim Repin and Mischa Maisky.
VINE Piano Trio “The Village”
Musica Viva is proud to provide a platform for the creation of new works, by Australia’s leading and emerging composers and we are forever grateful for the ensembles we present, who continue to give these works life after leaving our shores. The Sitkovetsky Trio will premiere Carl Vine’s Piano Trio “The Village”. Of course, being a world premiere, no recording exists of this work yet, so we’ve included Michael Keiran Harvey’s recording of Vine’s Piano Sonata no 1, written for the pianist and Sydney Dance Company in 1990. It was performed by Michael Keiran Harvey’s sister Bernadette Harvey for Musica Viva’s 2013 International Concert Season.
SMETANA Piano Trio in G minor, op 15
We cap off this playlist with the Grieg Trio’s recording of Smetana’s Piano Trio in G minor. It begins with the rather deep and sorrowful expression of a lamenting solo violin – said to have been a pouring of emotion in response to the loss of his daughter early in her infancy. It was almost 20 years later that Smetana returned to chamber music writing, with his first String Quartet. The Trio combines influences of Schumann and Liszt and finishes with an electric Presto in its final movement.
The Sitkovetsky Trio’s debut CD, released with BIS earlier this year features a dazzling performance of Smetana’s Piano Trio, alongside works by Dvořák and Suk. Visit musicdirect.net.au for more information, or purchase a copy in the foyers following the performances.
For more information on the Sitkovetsky Trio and their tour for Musica Viva, visit musicaviva.com.au/sitkovetsky, or call 1800 688 482.
About Musica Viva AustraliaWelcome to Musica Viva’s International Concert Season blog. Here you can follow and read more about our wonderful touring artists.
The Musica Viva Blog
- Jessica Duchen Speaks with Eighth Blackbird Ahead of Their Nationwide Tour
- Jessica Duchen Talks to Trio Dali Ahead of Their Nationwide Tour
- Jessica Duchen Talks to Benjamin Beilman Ahead of His Nationwide Tour with Andrew Tyson
- THE JERUSALEM STRING QUARTET
- Carl Vine on The Choir of Trinity College Cambridge
- Harp and cello combine at Musica Viva Sessions - only in #Sydney, 8 November @soundslikesyd soundslikesydney.com.au/shows/musica-v… 4 hours ago
- RT @MVISchools: 32 performances and 50 workshops! Catch #BestofBrass on tour across regional #Queensland northweststar.com.au/story/4989500/… https://t.… 6 hours ago
- RT @ANUllewellyn: Carl Vine AO introduces the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and Rachel Podger ahead of their Australian tour with @… 15 hours ago
- Ahead of her tour with @theoae, @RachPodger talks about the challenges of travelling with early instruments 🎻 musicaviva.com.au/news-views/rac… 1 day ago
- RT @cappsmj: @carlvine in NYC for US premiere tonight @carnegiehall of his string 4t with the great Takacs Quartet @MusicaVivaAU https://t.… 4 days ago